My Boss almost got killed on our construction site. Safety Tips

And a gust of wind came up and the 40-foot aluminum ladder came straight back off the side of the 2-story house and landed with a boom about 1 foot away from where my boss was standing. 


THE REST OF THE STORY

Way back in the '70's when I was studying civil engineering at Penn State University, I was building houses during one summer as a carpenter assistant and laborer. 

One day I was carrying roofing shingles up onto the roof of this 2-story house that we were building. 

The 40-foot aluminum ladder was propped up against the 2-story house. It was about a 24' climb to the roof. 

My boss just arrived as I was ascending the ladder. He parked in front of the house and when he got out of his truck, he yelled at me.

"What the hell are you doing carrying one tab of shingles at a time? In my day, I carried 2 tabs at a time. That roofer needs those shingles up there pronto."

So, I carried 2 tabs of shingles up on to the roof for the remainder of this task. Yes, it's dangerous.

After I completed this work, I went over to the garage driveway to talk to the carpenters about the next work that they were doing. 

My boss stayed in front of the house. He was talking to someone when all of sudden a gust of wind came up and sent the ladder backwards off the house. It slammed on the ground to within a foot of where my boss was standing. 

It definitely would have killed him if it hit him.

Years later after I graduated from college, I was working in Florida for a heavy commercial construction manager. I learned the proper safety procedures that are to be implemented on our construction projects. I implement them on my jobsites today.

And one of the lessons that hit hone to me was that our ladders must be tied to the building that it is propped up against. 




READ MORE….


Shettig Construction Management provides Professional Construction Management services from the inception of your project through completion. www.shettig.com

mshettig@gmail.com

 


 





Comments

Popular Posts

When is it good to use the Design-Build Method on Construction Projects?

Notices of Nonperformance to a Trade Contractor on a construction project

Pre-Construction in the Design Build Method of Construction