How I handle difficult people on Construction Projects

Handling difficult people


        Beaver Run Water Treatment Plant


I pray for them. 

Not everyone that rubs me the wrong way. But every once in a while, I'll pray for them. 

I was involved in building a 25-million-dollar Water treatment plant outside Pittsburgh. 

We contracted with a Concrete Trade that sent a cantankerous malcontent superintendent named Paul to our job site. 

I was involved with him from time to time as we purchased separately the reinforcing steel for this project.

 We bought 25 thousand tons of rebar from a firm in Pittsburgh, and I coordinated the deliveries and oversaw the correct placement with his rodbusters. 

One day I was reviewing the rebar installation of a slab for the clarifier bay and noticed that the Rodbusters had installed the wrong stack of rebar. 

I notified the rodbusters foreman. He stated that Paul had told them to place this rebar. I would have to discuss it with Paul and direct him to remove it and replace it with the proper rebar. 

Paul was an old-school construction superintendent. He would try to intimidate you by jacking you up. I was used to it as I worked construction sites during my college summers. 

I walked into his trailer and immediately he tried his antics. I explained what had happened and he went into his jack-me-up routine to see if I would back down. 

His antics didn't faze me, I stood my ground, didn't argue, and asked him as I was leaving to let me know when he was going to direct the rodbuster to replace the rebar. 

I drove home that afternoon to my home in Ebensburg and since I was a catholic altar boy growing up, I said a prayer for Paul that night. 

I arrived at my office the next morning at 7:30 am. And immediately Paul walked into my office. Paul never came into my office. I always had to track him down. 

As he came in, I said,

"Good morning, Paul, you want a cup of coffee?

"No, I already had two cups this morning."

He stood there looking conflicted. 

"Okay Paul, what can I help you with?

"Uh, Mike, I was looking into what we discussed yesterday."

"Uh-huh, go on Paul."

"Well, I see where I made a mistake and told the rodbusters to put in the wrong rebar."

"Okay Paul"

"And I just wanted to let you know that they would be replacing the rebar this morning. It will take a few hours."

"Hey, that's great Paul."

Paul still stood there and still looked conflicted. 

"Anything else, Paul?"

"Um, yeah, hey Mike you live over Ebensburg Way?"

"Yes, Sir Paul. What do you have?"

"Me and my brother have property over there."

"No kidding, where at?"

"Out 422 ways."

"Past Revloc?"

"Yep"

"There's a Ranger Tower out there on the right-hand side of the road."

"Matter of fact the property is right across from the Ranger Tower."

"That's a wooded area right there. How many acres do you have?"

"We have three acres."

"What are planning to do?"

"We were thinking of putting a mechanic shop in there."

"Hey, that's great Paul. I tell you what, I just had my surveyor plot my seven-acre property and I have a guy that cleared my trees. Whenever you want to do something, I have the people to get it done."

"Hey thanks, Mike."

"You got it, Paul."

Now Paul didn't change overnight. 'He still was a tough cantankerous negotiator in my dealings with him. 

However, as time went on with this project he would open up during the weekly contractors' meetings. 

At the beginning of the projects, these meetings became contentious between the trades. It was my job to create harmony with all the trades during these meetings. 

Before the meetings, I would ask a member if they had a funny story to share with the rest of the members. 

It took some time in the progress of the project, but Paul would share some stories that would put a smile on our faces. 

I hold no animosity toward difficult disgruntled malcontents. 

Two bible verses.

Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong and courageous. Do not be in fear or be in dread of them., for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you. 


Ephesians 4:2

Be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowances for each other faults because of your love. Try always to be led along together by the Holy Spirit so you will be at peace with one another.


I hope for success on your next project. 


Shettig Construction Management provides Professional Construction Management services from the inception of your project through completion. www.shettig.com

mshettig@gmail.com















































































































Comments

Popular Posts

When is it good to use the Design-Build Method on Construction Projects?

Notices of Nonperformance to a Trade Contractor on a construction project

Pre-Construction in the Design Build Method of Construction