How I Schedule my Construction Projects using the Critical Path Method (CPM)


The Critical path method (CPM) scheduling is a process for building a Construction project schedule and analyzing it to determine the most critical tasks that most affect the scheduled completion date.

Let’s look at this example of a custom house that I completed. As you see from the drawing and 3D rendering, the house is 1,800 Square feet, one story and a three car garage.





Figure 1 & 2

I start to develop a rough draft of the Schedule. I obtain the activities for the schedule from my construction takeoff and estimate. (Figure 3)

The Takeoff is a list of activities that are necessary to complete the project. I feel that it is important that the Project Manager/Estimator of the project be involved in constructing the Schedule. If that is not the case with your company, work closely with the estimator in developing your Schedule. He or she understands the project in a very detailed way. 

To determine the durations, I develop this from the construction estimate. For example, in the rough framing stage of the project I have identified the takeoff quantities for this work. From there as you see in Figure 4, you can determine the duration of that particular scope of work. That is the durations that I start with. I also, at this early rough draft of this schedule, include the Trade Contractors and include their anticipated durations. 




Figure 3


Figure 4 

From the Activities of the construction Takeoff and estimate, I then input them into my computer scheduling system. I use the Suretrak software system. It is a subsystem of Primavira. (Figure 4)











Figure 4

Next, you want to establish milestone dates at this rough draft stage.

Milestone dates are target dates that identify major task that need to be completed. These dates should be broadcast to all the members of the project so that they understand their roles as the project commences. 






 



Comments

Popular Posts

When is it good to use the Design-Build Method on Construction Projects?

Pre-Construction in the Design Build Method of Construction

Notices of Nonperformance to a Trade Contractor on a construction project